Tuesday 16 October 2012

Unleashed Geek

I haven't been very active on this blog recently. There is one reason for this - I have been very actively involved with my good friend Mark Brassington's new venture GeeksUnleashed.Me

I heard that Mark was planning to launch a website focusing on geek culture, ranging from comics, film, TV, books, music, fashion, games, gadgets etc. It sounded like a fun thing to get involved with and I thought I could do one or two articles about comics, so I contacted Mark and told him I was interested. He very graciously accepted my offer to assist and we started talking about what the site should be and what content he wanted on it.

This was about four months ago. Since then I've posted over thirty news and review articles as well as starting a regular bi-weekly feature looking at web comics. I'm really enjoying writing for the site and it's really exciting to be involved in something from the beginning. I know Mark has big plans for the site and more people are getting involved all the time. I hope to be there for the ride for as long as possible.

However there is a downside to being involved in this collaborative venture. It has seriously affected my own writing and the time I have to work on my own stuff. I was never very disciplined when it came to writing in my spare time but now I have less spare time it has become even harder for me to sit down to work on my own writing. My fear is that I will lose any momentum I had built up earlier this year. So I need to set aside some time every day to write, not for this blog, not for Geeks Unleashed, but for my stories. And I will.

I know I can keep up my commitments to Geeks Unleashed, and I intend to do just that. All I need to do in addition is carve out some time for my own writing. I know it can be done. Hell, I'll just sleep less.

I do intend to keep this blog going too, and I'll let you know how I'm getting on with my writing next time I stop by here to empty my head.

Till next time. 



1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, the first four months of Geeks Unleashed we've been all systems go and I too need to make space for my own blog and novel writing. I feel like we've carved a good space for GU now and it's about finding the balance. In the beginning it was just us and three others. Now there's 20 plus writers so we should be able to maintain our projects and GU.

    Thanks for being a part of the team and good luck with this blog, your own writing and your studies.

    ReplyDelete